500g venison – minced
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons cream
1 onion – finely chopped
1-2 cloves garlic – crushed
2 teaspoons chicken stock powder
½-¾ cup dry breadcrumbs
salt and pepper – to taste olive oil
tomato or sweet chilli sauce – to serve
- Combine all ingredients, except the olive oil, mix well and form into little rissoles.
- Pan-fry the bites in a hot, well-oiled frypan until golden brown. Alternatively, bake in a preheated 180C oven until cooked and golden brown, keeping a close eye on them so they don’t dry out.
- Serve with tomato or sweet chilli sauce for dipping.
2 tablespoons peanut butter
50ml sweet chilli sauce
50ml ketjap manis
500g pork – cubed
- Place the peanut butter in a small jug, add 50ml of water and stir until smooth. Stir in the sweet chilli sauce and ketjap manis.
- Place the pork in a deep dish. Pour over the satay mixture and rub it well into the pork. Cover and allow to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Thread the meat onto bamboo skewers and cook over hot coals, basting with the remaining marinade during cooking.
Kangaroo Fillet with Couscous
500g kangaroo fillets
1 cup red wine
2 tablespoons soy sauce
dash olive oil or butter
salt – to taste
cos lettuce and cherry tomatoes – to serve
- Marinate the kangaroo in the red wine and soy sauce for at least 30
- To prepare the couscous, bring the water to a rolling boil in a heavy-based saucepan, add the oil or butter and a good pinch of salt, then add the couscous. Stir with a wooden spoon for a couple of minutes until all the water has been absorbed and the couscous is light and fl uff y. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Grill the kangaroo for 2-3 minutes on a very hot grill or hotplate. Remove from the heat, rest for a few minutes, then slice thinly.
- Place a mound of couscous on each plate and arrange the kangaroo on top. Serve with cos lettuce and cherry tomatoes.
Sweet Chilli Prawns
3 tablespoons oil
1 large onion – sliced
250g large prawns – shelled and deveined
3 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
salt and pepper – to taste
steamed rice or crusty bread – to serve
- Add the onion and prawns to a hot, well-oiled wok and stir-fry for 2-3
- Add the chilli sauce, season, and stir-fry for another 3 minutes.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice or warm crusty bread.